Friday 18 December 2015

Girl organizes care packages to comfort grieving kids

635859676656832974-sophia.jpg

A Summit County girl whose father was killed while doing road work is trying to help other kids cope with loss.


Once she gets home from school, one thing that makes Sophia Feller smile is staying busy. She spends a lot of her time writing letters to children who have lost loved ones. It's something the 9-year-old knows too much about.

"It was really like my dad was there one day and gone the next," Feller said.

Three years ago, when Sophia was just 5, her father Nicolas Feller was working along a road in Ohio when he was killed by a trucker who fell asleep at the wheel.

"I kept thinking, I can't wait for dad to come home and then he never did," Feller said.

The day after her father's death, Sophia started writing down memories. Her mom, Courtney Marie says it was a way to remember her dad and to start healing.

"She didn't want to forget anything so she started writing them down or having me do it because she couldn't write yet," Marie said.

Then 3 months ago, on the day her father died, Sophia started doing more than just writing for herself—she started writing to other kids who had lost loved ones.

"It helps me think about my dad and help others at the same time," Feller said.

Those efforts have grown to include a website and s non-profit group called "Heaven Sent It," where people can read Sophia's story and in return Sophia can try to help them with their loss.

"It was difficult for me and I don't want it to be difficult for others," Feller said.

Now she's making care packages filled with things that brought Sophia comfort: a journal to write down memories, a necklace, a memory box for pictures and a picture frame like the one Sophia keeps next to her bed.

"I sleep with my dad beside my bed every night, I have a picture frame next to my bed of him and I," Feller said.

It's things Sophia hopes will mean a lot to others, maybe even help someone smile when they think they can't.

"I want them to be able to smile and not be sad for a long time like I was," Feller said.

After all, Sophia says it's helped her smile and she's sure wherever her dad is, he's smiling too.

"I think he's proud and happy for me," Feller said.

To learn more about Sophia's Heaven Sent It program visithttp://www.heavensentit.org/


9news.com

No comments:

Post a Comment